Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Testing for Simple Sugars | Biology

Welcome to another post on my blog. In today's post, I am going to share the experiment that I've done in Biology today. I had to do the experiment myself.

Aim: To test a sample of food to determine whether it contains simple sugars.

Hypothesis: I think that in the;

Glucose - it might change colour because it can be any simple or complex sugar.
Apple - it will change colour because it is a carbohydrate (sugary)
Bread - it might change colour.
Potato - it won't change colour.
Egg - might change colour.
Milk - won't change colour.


Equipment:


Method

  1. Water Bath
  2. Test Tube Tongs
  3. Benedict's Solution
  4. A Sample of Food

Method:

  1. Place about 2ml of the sample into a test tube and then add 5 drops of Benedict's Solution.
  2. Heat with a hot water bath until it changes colour. 

Results:

What I observed is that every sample changed colour except,

We first got the apple, potato and bread and put it in the test tube. Next, we had put 5 drops of solution.

Adding Benedict's Solution into a small piece of potato

Next, we put the three test tubes in the hot water bath until it changes colour. We put three test tubes into two beakers with hot water. 

Hot Water Bath

What I found out weird that the egg had changed colour too! Because I wasn't sure if it was going to change colour or not. 

Conclusion:

My experiment worked really well. I am not sure if I got the hypothesis right or wrong because I mostly had written: "might".


I hope you liked my post. Have a cool day!! Bye!!