Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Testing for Protein | Biology

Welcome to another post on my blog. In today's post, I am going to share the experiment that I've done in Biology today. I had to do the experiment myself.

Aim: To test if a sample of food contains protein.

Hypothesis: I think that in the;

Glucose - is not going to change colour.
Apple - is going to change colour
Bread - is not going to change colour.
Potato - is not going to change colour
Egg - is not going to change colour.
Milk - is going to change colour.

Equipment:



  1. Test Tube
  2. Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH)
  3. Copper Sulfate (CuSO4)
  4. Food Sample

Method

Method:

  1. Place about 2 ml of the sample into a test tube and add 5 drops of sodium hydroxide.
  2. Add 5 drops of copper sulfate.
  3. Shake the test tube gently from side to side.

Results:

First, our teacher had tested the potato. After adding the potato in the test tube, she added 5 drops of sodium hydroxide. Then added 5 drops of copper sulfate. In my hypothesis, I had written that it is not going to change colour. Well, it really didn't change colour. Because it is not a protein food.

Secondly, the apple was tested. In my hypothesis, I wrote that it is not going to change colour, because it is not a protein. My hypothesis was right. It didn't change colour.

Thirdly, milk was tested. I had written in my hypothesis was that 'milk is going to change colour'. Because milk has got protein. Again, my hypothesis was right, it changed colour to protein.

Because we didn't have egg, we didn't test it out. But what I'd written in my hypothesis was that egg is not going to change colour. Well, it did change colour, which I had learnt.

The fourth test was the bread, I had written that bread is not going to change colour. Luckily, I was right and it didn't change colour. I knew that the bread didn't have protein.

The last test that was tested was glucose or sugar. I had written that sugar wasn't going to change colour because it hadn't had any protein in it. 


Conclusion:

The experiment was really well done and I'd learnt something new. We had tested 5/6 samples of food. From my hypothesis that I had written earlier, I had got 4/5 or 80% of my hypothesis correct, which was really good.