Pages

Friday, December 8, 2017

Being a Surfer!

As I told you yesterday we are going to Surf at Sumner. We had a great time there. It was 28°C, we were really hot out there. Last year we had done surfing in the first activity. It all started when...

At our classroom the teacher gave us a number on our hands for our groups. There was 3 groups for surfing. I was in group 2. We went on the bus to Sumner. I was feeling quite tired so I went to sleep. The drive was about half an hour to reach Sumner. We got in our class lines and put our bags under the tents. After putting the bags in the tent we sat on the white mat to listen to the instructors. They thought us the parts of the board and what to do, etc. Last time I had done surfing it was one of the worst surfing times that I had, because it was my first time. Group 1 and 2 lined up to get their wetsuits. After getting changed group 1 went to the beach to to surfing. We have a 20-25 minute session. Meanwhile, I was bored and wanted to do something. When I was thinking my friend asked me to play with a tennis ball. We played catches. It was fun playing around. When we were playing we saw the Crusaders (I think so) going for a surf. We didn't recognized how fast group 1 had finished their session. We lined up to go to the beach. The instructor said to lie on your tummies and reminded us the surfing position. After doing some practice we got our boards and went out to surf. The tide was high so the energy for the waves would be fast. I was excited to do surfing. After doing one try, I thought that it is quite similar to body boarding but a bit different. Doing surfing is a bit better than body boarding because the board is longer and easy to ride on. But it came to the end of our surfing time, but after group 3 and 1 we are going again to the sea to do body boarding.

We started to lie on our tummies and did that same drill and then we went out to the sea. I started near the shore for a start. But then the teacher said to go further. I went further trying to find any big waves. After a few small waves past a big wave went and I went fast as a jet boat (not that fast, but really fast). After some tries I went a bit deeper into the sea. There was one when it felt like that the wave pushed me up and I was flying for 1 or 2 seconds. It was awesome. I was more excited about doing body boarding. I went deeper until it reached under my shoulders. I tried to push myself to the shore. But it didn't work for me, I thought it would work next time I find another wave. The instructor said 2 more turns left until it will finish. On my first one it was a big wave, I didn't went up or like that but when the wave pushed me it felt quite weird (I don't know why?). I landed but on the ground. The salty water went in my mouth (Yuck!). Also that happened that same thing in my last go. It wasn't a big wave and I hit the ground. But it was a good last time lesson surf swim for me. I was really happy. We were having so fun at the sea that we didn't recognized how fast the time went. When we were going back to the tents there was a tsunami warning alarm. The instructor said that it was the sea rescue. We were all thinking 'what is even going on?' When we went back we heard that there were 3 random people stuck in a rip! There was a fire engine and a helicopter 🚁 flying over the sky. We got the notice that there was 2 people save in the rip and we didn't know about the other one person stuck in a rip. But that was good that none of the students were caught in a rip. We had to get ready fast because we had to eat lunch.

After getting ready we had some time to have a eat and rest. For lunch there was fish 'n chips. I just ate only chips. We had a nice and full lunch, we were ready to go back to school. We packed our stuff and went on the bus. We were all talking and having fun back to school. We had a good time at Sumner. On Monday we are having a Trekkers Day Out, so we are doing Mega Air (like last time) and Jelly Park. It will be fun at Jelly Park because we haven't been there for EOTC Week before. I hope you have a cool 😎 day/week. Bye!!