Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Is it Really Black?

In Science, we had a choice of what topic would we do. Last term our topic was about Psychology. I chose Astronomy because I like researching about space and I have known about it. So for this post, we are looking at "Black Holes." I have some questions to answer and it would give you some more information that you might not know. I hope you like my post about Black Holes. Please comment down below. Have a cool day!! Bye!!

What are Black Holes?

Black Holes is a place in space where gravity pulls anything around it that even light can not get out from it. The gravity in the Black Hole is so strong because the matter has been squeezed into a tiny size. This can happen when a red giant star is dying. Space telescopes with special tools can find Black Holes.

How big are Black Holes?

Black Holes can be at different sizes, big or small. Scientists think that the smallest black holes are as small as one atom. Black Holes are very tiny but have the mass of a large mountain.

Another kind of Black Hole is called "stellar." Its mass can be up to 20 times more than the mass of the sun (The suns mass is 1.989 × 10^30 kg x 20). That would be a huge number! Also, there may be many, many stellar-mass Black Holes in the Milky Way.

The largest Black Holes are called "supermassive." These Black Holes have masses that have more than 1 million suns together. Scientists have proof that every large galaxy contains a supermassive Black Hole in its centre. Milky Way's Supermassive Black Hole at the centre is called Sagittarius A. It has a mass that equals about 4 million suns and would fit inside a very large ball that could fit a few million Earths.

Main Question: How do Black Holes Form?

Scientists think that Black Holes form when the universe formed. Stellar Black Holes are made when the centre of a very big star falls or collapses. When that happens, it causes a supernova. A supernova is an exploding star that blasts parts of the star into space (read above of the red giant star).

blackhole_2.jpg
This is an artist's drawing shows the current view of the Milky Way. Scientific evidence shows that there is a supermassive black hole in the centre of the Milky Way.
What I've learnt?

I had known some information about Black Holes but I had learnt something new about Black Holes. Here's what I've learnt.
  • I learnt that: small Black Holes are as small as one atom. 
  • I learnt that: there is a different type of Black Hole called a Stellar.
  • I learnt that: the Black Holes and Stellars can fit heaps of the suns mass. 
  • I learnt that: Sagittarius A is a Black Hole in the centre of the Milky Way.