Pages

Friday, November 13, 2020

Discovery | Health

For the past few weeks in Health, we started working on a new unit called Discovery. We are exploring areas of health which interests us. It is also about showing our understanding of key health skills. First, we had to choose two topics to choose from the ones listed or any relevant health topic that is approved by the teacher. The first topic I chose was 'Effects of gaming on the mind & body'. We could work independently or in pairs. I chose to work by myself. 


Success Criteria:
  1. You have linked your answers to the key concepts
  2. You have answered all 5 BIG questions in detail 
  3. You have answered all 5 BIG questions in detail 
  4. Your work is well presented and you are proud of it

Firstly, we had to choose our five big questions, which need to be approved, and then write the answer in detail. The answer needs strategies to manage our chosen topic. Next, we need to make or create an activity to do with our topic, which includes pictures and a high level of presentation of your findings.

I chose to create a Kahoot! to show my work. The Kahoot! has 11 questions about and relating to 'Effects of gaming on the mind & body'. I was thinking to create a Kahoot! or make a website, but I chose to create a Kahoot! for my first topic and a website for my next topic. 

Here are some of my Kahoot! questions, by a screenshot.





After creating the Kahoot!, we had to describe 3 ways to improve and manage your chosen health issue if you or a friend were to experience it. Explain how it will improve wellbeing in the short term and long term. Here are my strategies. 


Strategies 

What the strategies are

What areas of wellbeing the strategy will improve and how

Short term and/or long term

Strategy 1

Tell them what are the negative outcomes if you play games and some proof to they can understand.

Taha Tinana - Physical, Taha Hinengaro - Mental & Emotional, 

Short term

Strategy 2

If they are playing games because they are stressed or being bullied, tell them to say to their parents.

Taha Hinengaro - Mental & Emotional, Taha Whānau - Social

Short term

Strategy 3

If they can’t stop playing, then they can set a limit of playing an hour a day, then 50 min, then 40 min, etc. This will reduce the time playing games and use that time doing physical work.

Taha Tinana - Physical, Taha Hinengaro - Mental & Emotional

Long Term


We have learned that these strategies help overcome gaming and are helpful to use if you are addicted to games and cannot stop gaming.


It was challenging at the start because I was quite distracted and needed to do my work. I coped with the challenge by concentrating on my work and finishing my work quickly. Next time I will try to have more than 11 questions in my Kahoot! I am really proud of finishing my Kahoot! quickly and had some time free time.